Monday, December 08, 2008

Birthday candles

I have finished slogging over my JLPT - and boy - it was tough - and I still could have done better. But all that is old news and the best is yet to come.

Today is my birthday - and being cut off from the rest off my world thanks to my current location status, I try to think of all the great times I have had till now :-). I also keep thanking God at frequent intervals of time for the big advances made by man in terms of communication and the fact that if wish to call or see someone, they are only a mobile number or computer away :-).

I started off a new birthday year yesterday with an awesome gift from Thilak - my own hi-tech handycam!! I am waiting to learn how to use it yet - I have a feeling it would be the most fun I have had in a long time :-))))))))

There are some golden birthdays I remember too - like the time the MFBS held this surprise birthday party at my place (I walked right into it after a terrible VLSI test!!) - I remember how Mamatha had to keep me busy at the BDA complex to let the rest of the gang reach home before me! That was so special :-). And the time I had to cut a cup cake in XIIth std - we had Sports Day that day - and we played Oranges and Lemons and Tug of War :-) - it was wonderful. Last year we went back packing to see Mt. Fuji - it was a long cherished dream - and every bit of it was wonderful. And somewhere in the corner of my mind I rememer my first fews birthdays where I would enjoy home made plum cakes and chocolates. And the one birthday where I had a celebration at Atheetha Ashram with Swamiji :-).

For me, it is a double bonanza day with it being my parents wedding anniversary as well - and my happiest moments on my birthday have been when I bought them the biggest cards I could find or else the most extrordinary souveniers of the day - all of which my mother lovingly keeps on public display and my father carefully stores to show me later (including the envelopes for the greeting cards!).

And this time was no different - I got a card for each year of my life from my parents - each with lovely messages - some that made me want to cry, some that made me smile and laugh outright. Thilak got me this handycam which I am dying to use! And I had so many calls and mails, that I feel that even though we are all far apart, we are still quite close in thoughts - and that makes me feel warm inside :-). And we finished the day with a mouth watering dinner with Sneha and Praveen anna (made by yours truly :-))) - and more gifts from them and Motoko san. My celebrations continue the next day with a call from machan and akka - and little Suru kutty too - which made me feel euphoric again.

Another year has come and gone - I look back to see the roses and thorns on the path I have walked - but - wait a minute - look ahead - I see more beauty and love on the roads to come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the time I had to cut a cup cake in XIIth std - we had Sports Day that day - and we played Oranges and Lemons and Tug of War :-) - it was wonderful.

I remember !! Total fun would be the words I was looking for.

Divya said...

Do you remember how Shru and Suri switched their fave actors during the tug of war game? All those in favour of Hugh Grant found themselves supporting Suri while one or two were finding themselves quite lonely along with Shru after voting for Jeff Goldbluhm!! No guesses here as to who won the tug of war finally :-p

Pageviews last month