....in India! Hmmm - it's been ages since I have blogged. Not like I gave up on writing - but more like I am unable to decode the Japanese script that appears whenever I try to open my blog :-(. I got adventurous today after reading my previous posts - which are in my own judgement, quite readable - and more importantly - bring back memories of a glorious time spent with my baby nephew and my Bosch friends :-).
Well, it's been a couple of years since my last post. But I promise to be regular from now on. What's been happening with me since then follows. First, I went onsite for a few months - it was a fantastic experience. I happened to be there with 2 of my best friends Roop and Pavi - and we had a blast. I managed to make a good number of German friends too in the bargain and learn quite a bit about Germany. And I loved my Salzburg trip! I got engaged and married to Thilak in Jan, 2006. Thilak works in Japan - so I had to leave my job behind in Bangalore or Bengalooru as it is called now and come to Japan. We were first at Osaka and now we stay in Toyota Shi.
I like Toyota Shi better than Osaka. Maybe it's because I have more friends here than back at Osaka. I miss home though. I agree with the age old statement - you never appreciate the value of something till it's gone.
In my case, I miss a lot of things - the smell of dosas in the morning, friendly chatter in a language you understand, chikkus, English newspapers, Tamil songs, TV, SMSes from friends saying hello, autorickshaws, chaat stalls, FM radios, Mom's cooking, cozy Bangalore mornings where everything else is taken care of by someone for you from breakfast to the clothes you wear for the day - the list is endless :-(.
On the sunny side up, I have learned to live without it all - and doing well too. At least much better than my first 3 months here.... For one, I can shop for vegetarian stuff now without waiting for Thilak to tell me what has non-veg stuff in it ( a big, big thing for a veggie in Japan!). We get Tamil movies and channels (thank God!). I can always read the day's issue of Deccan Herald online. I have a few Japanese, Indian and Korean friends who are friendly and willing to sacrifice their time to help me learn more about this country (a huge +) for that. And I have learnt to cook (and quite well mind you!). I am learning Japanese with a zest that is not matched but the result - but it's still progress. I am slowly beginning to feel at home in a country which is not home. I am slowly beginning to become a part of a culture which is alien to my own. And the best of it all is I am loving every bit of it!
So hop along on my journey through Japan (like what the adventurous folks say!) and let me tell you stories of my discoveries of Japan as they happen. Watch me paint pictures of my world with words for colours and day to day accounts for outlines for the continuing portrait of my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment