Friday, April 11, 2008

An unexpected visitor

Today, as I was about to put clothes for wash in the washing machine (which is outside in the balcony), a sudden noise startled me. I watched a pigeon flap about my head before finding a small hole in the net covering the balcony and squeeze itself out on it's way to freedom. I am sure I startled it as much as it gave me a minor start (it was getting dark - and the pigeon was black - for half a minute, I wildly thought - 'it must be a bat or something - yikes - HELP!!' The pigeon must have thought 'Hmmm........nice warm cubby hole (our exhaust fan exit!!)....it's time to sleep......YACK! Human on the prowl in the middle of the night!!' LOL!)

I fixed the hole in the netting before I headed back in - these birds in Japan are notoriously unafraid of people. Leave alone the birds - even the dogs, cats and snakes look at you with a very tolerant curiosity if you happen to wander by in their proximity. I guess they are not used to being treated meanly. Sometimes, their friendliness gets to you - especially, the pigeons - they don't mind sitting on your shoulder or head if you are about to feed them! Or they don't hesitate to take a peck out of your hand. All this would be very cute if you didn't have to clean up after them. Which is the only objection I have to finding feathered tenants on my balcony!

No comments:

Pageviews last month