Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dining at Indian Kitchen

In all my travels, I have found that there is nothing to beat Indian food. Filling, tasty to boot - and a delicious variety - I sometimes wonder at the people who took time to discover the many ways of cooking up Indian food! When I was in Germany, I refused to cook - mainly because I am not at home in the kitchen. But in Japan, I have to think of two people (and budgets and stuff!!). Well, if I have to cook, why not cook Indian fare, thought I - and after a year of experiments, I can turn out a decent meal given the ingredients and a couple of hours.

But even that gets to me sometimes - I have to cook at least a couple of times a day - and also wash the vessels accumulating in the very small sink. In India, one has the luxury of space of an entire room - so things can be left around without thinking about the necessity of space. In countries like Japan though where space is precious, I find myself having to adjust and readjust cutlery endlessly to wriggle out some space for making chapatis or to cut veggies!! This, my friend, believe me - is head eating at times.

That's when we head out to the nearby hotels where I can enjoy my food without thinking about the number of plates I am about to wash or something like that! One of my personal favourites is this Indian restaurant which is almost next door called Indian Kitchen. I think there are a lot of things I enjoy about this particular restaurant - for one, after several visits to the restaurant, we have made firm friends with the staff of the restaurant - who not only dish up our favourites off the menu (paneer butter masala for me, dhal makani for Thilak!) - but serve us huge servings with big smiles. And do we love to chat! It is one place where we all try to talk in Hindi - and we have a blast sharing jokes as we eat. I find i wonderful that there is a place where I feel at home even away from home. And the place is done like with Rajasthani decor, the food has the 'original' Indian feel - not like other Indian restaurants here which serve sweet curries and a small bowl of rice for outrageous prices! Yesterday, we had an awesome time - being a weeknight, we were the only ones in the restaurant at 7 in the evening - so we enjoyed some yummy, mouth watering food as the staff and Thilak caught up on the latest in Bollywood and I relished my regular cup of chai. It was almost as if I was sitting in a Sukh Sagar or a Kamat hotel at home.

Well, if you are ever in Toyota Shi - do drop in at Indian Kitchen! Great food and good services await you :-) (This post sounds like an ad for the restaurant!!)

No comments:

Pageviews last month