is probably one of the most difficult things I have ever done - ever - yep, even beating that Optical Fibres exam I fluked by passing in 3rd year.
The enormity of the situation hits you when you have done the topic for the day (planned for 60 minutes, executed in 15 minutes) and have a bunch of students staring at you wondering what crazy thing you are going to make them do next. Or when they keep shaking their heads and one or two start whining 'Nani o kore - nani mo wakaranai!' ('What is this, I say - I don't understand a thing!'). I once made the mistake of telling a kid that I did not know the answer to one out of the world question - and the kid broadcast it to the waiting parents outside as 'The teacher doesn't know a thing!!!' Also, I now know how all those Math and Social Studies teachers I once knew felt when I could not stop yawning in their classes.
But all the bad experiences apart, I used to think that there was no way I could be trusted to watch over a smiling two year old (leave alone a bawling one!). Looking at the number of two year olds who walked in wailing for their mamas to not go but left smiling, cheerfully clutching two chocolates and waving me sweet goodbyes, I think I am much better than I thought I was.
Or talk about me staying a few minutes with older children - and I used to say - 'Hey! Let me out of the room!' The older kids are more tricky - but heart felt compliments on their efforts and progress seem to make a world of a difference to them.
Teaching kids seems to have opened up a whole new side of me I have never known. Here's to me making the best of my ongoing exploration of life!
4 comments:
Way to go! I used to think kids were terrifying till i was put in the same house with a four year old for two days. I survived. Teaches us a lot each time eh?! :)
Yep! LOLs - Aksh - never knew you too were once terrified of the little munchkins like me! (I still sometimes am ;-))
I love this piece.it looks as if iam staring at myself divya.we all are.whether it is 2 year olds or 15yr old it isalways the same.
it is always a tussle between the teacher and the taught.
u go prepared for the class and the class is no mood to listen b'cos either the weather is bad or too good to study.
Ma'am - are you talking about our class?? (We would definitely have fitted the bill!!) ;-)
Post a Comment